System Center Advisor (http://www.systemcenteradvisor.com) is an online service that analyzes installations of Microsoft server software. Advisor collects data from your installations, analyzes it, and generates alerts that identify potential issues (such as missing security patches) or deviations from identified best practices with regard to configuration and usage. Advisor also provides both current and historical views of the configuration of servers in your environment.
What does Advisor analyze?
The following workloads are analyzed:
- Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 (new in March 2013)
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2:
- Active Directory
- Hyper-V Host
- General operating system
SQL Server 2008 and later
- SQL Engine
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and later (new in V1.1)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 and later (new in V1.1)
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010 (new in November 2012)
The Advisor environment
The Advisor environment is made up of the Advisor web service, hosted in the cloud, and the on-premise software, installed in your local environment. The on-premise software consists of one gateway and at least one agent. The agent collects data from your server and analyzes it using a set of rules (similar to a management pack in System Center Operations Manager) known collectively as Advisor knowledge. The analyzed data is regularly sent from the agent to the gateway for upload to the Advisor web service. If the data indicates an issue or a deviation from best practices, an alert is generated. By connecting a web browser to the Advisor portal, you can view the alerts and the associated remediation guidance.
How to install System Center Advisor?
- Visit www.systemcenteradvisor.com and Sign Up for System Center Advisor with your Live ID.
- Create the Advisor account
- Agree to the Lisence ageeement:
4. Click Begin Deployment
5. Understand the Gateway and Agent configuration
6. Download, Save and Install the Gateway and Agent software and certificate
7. Once Installed, click Next on the Install agents page
8. You may close the Advisor Deployment now and go to the Advisor dashboard for checking the deployment status or modifying the configuration